Friday, January 30, 2009
It puts things in perspective
In recent weeks, I have lost my job (which I moved to ny for), gone to the ER for a significant injury, soaked my guest room due to a pipe freezing, and a multitude of things that I feel entitles me complain a little and not be a really happy camper. This morning I am at a doctors office to get my finger examined after some fighting with HR and insurance some (again something I could complain about) when I observed something in the waiting room. There was an old woman sitting in a wheelchair with oxygen who was having her (presumably) daughter help her to fill out forms. She was asking her about health history then got to a question asking "what are your hobbies and interests.". I recalled when I answered that question how I was upset and answered "piano" since I have an abundance of time no but can't physically play well. Her response was "well, nothing now. I can't knit or crochet". I couldn't help but feel a bit like an ungrateful jerk inside. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds of observation to humble a person and rind them how lucky they really are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment